Visitors this week

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Keeping Up With Me

There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour.Ralph Waldo Emerson
What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?
(Author: Corbett Barr)

Dear Me 5 years ago:  Guess what?  You are human after all.  You cannot, in fact, live on 3 hours of sleep a night forever. You do need sabbath and recreation and a social life. You do need regular vacations. Your body is not invincible and you can get elevated blood pressure, gall stones, and have 5 lbs. that you can't seem to lose no matter how much you starve yourself.  You don't have to be everything to everyone, and you can delegate, let someone else do the work, and allow tasks to go undone.  The world will go on.

Dear Me 5 years from now:  Guess what?  You did put on the brakes in time.  You can enjoy your family and friends. You have honored God by observing a sabbath every week and understanding that you, alone, do not have to save the world.  I'm glad you are reading more for pleasure.  I'm proud of you for saying "No" sometimes and setting boundaries between work and personal life.  I love that you are traveling more, delegating more, and pacing yourself.  I know this will extend your life and see that you are happier, healthier, and more productive now that you have some balance in your life.

Some of us place such high expectations on ourselves that we risk burning out.  5 years ago I thought, no I knew, I was Superwoman.  I was different that everyone else.  I was "unique."  This year I have learned that while I am, a bit unique (clears throat), that no one can sprint forever.  I have to pace myself.  I have to slow down long enough to have a life outside of my job.  I don't have to do it all but more importantly I can't do it all.

In the next 5 years, I will work fewer hours, but still work very hard.  I will say no to a lot of things that add work to my plate and yes to more things that are fun, restful, exciting, and feed my body and spirit.  I will let phone calls go unanswered, emails go unopened, and spend more time enjoying my friends and family.  I will continue to study, learn, write, explore, and be as good a minister as I can be, but that won't mean I'm available 24/7 as I have been for the last 5 years, because if I continue to sprint rather than jog, I know I will burn out.

And I think this wisdom will make me a better pastor, mate, mother, daughter, friend, advocate, and child of God.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

That is some good advice. Too bad we could not send this message to the past. But we would not be where we are today with out all the challenges we accomplished. found u an twitter. :) Have a great day.