Visitors this week

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Carrot

There is always a carrot dangling just out of my reach.  Yeah, I'm that sort of girl.  No matter what goal I set, when I'm close, or when I reach the goal, I always set another one just out of my reach...for now.

Now, some of you may think that is a good thing, to always strive to do better, or do more, but it is not. It's not because I never stop to really enjoy where I AM.  I'm always looking at WHAT'S NEXT...

That's a dangerous thing, in my work, in my ministry, in life, in relationships, in general. 

Setting goals is great.  I'm big on goal setting.  But I'm discovering it's healthy, and even critical, to take time and space to enjoy the moments, the small victories, or even the big ones.

Yes, there is STILL a lot to do and a long way to go, and I acknowledge that.  But I want to take a little time just to look around and celebrate where I am now.  I want to do that in my personal life and I want to do that in my work.  I've worked my rear end off (and yet it's still there...how does that happen?), and I have some big goals for the future, but for now, for a little while, I'm going to do a little happy dance for the work I've already done.

Then I'll have some fuel for the next step.  And believe me, there will be a next step!  I'm just like that.

Do you stop and celebrate, or is that carrot always out there, dangling, egging you on?  Is that a good thing, or has it caused you to lose sight of the awesomeness of now?

Think about it.

Teresa


No comments: