Visitors this week

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Simple joys and everyday grace

This has been a great weekend. I got to talk to my son at his dad's and hear about his NYE. I got to laugh at his wry humor and razor-sharp intuition about people. I got to dream with him about his upcoming adventures and dreams. As I took a moment to look at pictures of him over the last 15 years, I found myself smiling at all the joy he brings me every single day.

I helped my almost 20-year-0ld daughter move into her downtown Atlanta apartment. I got to watch her take charge with the leasing agent and get her paperwork done with no help from me. I got to make her bed in the new apartment and hang her towels and put away her groceries. I got to hear about the great dinner she cooked her boyfriend on New Year's Eve. I got to see a beautiful young woman coming into her own. It was breathtaking. She is breathtaking.

I had a great night away with the love of my life. I got to eat a great, healthful dinner overlooking a beautiful river then sleep in a great bed that someone else prepared for us. I got to be a passenger on the trip rather than the driver. I got a heated seat. I got to watch my husband totally in his element in the international market, talking about vegetables I've never heard of or tasted and spices that smelled exotic and wonderful. It was a peaceful, happy weekend spent in the company of people I love with all my heart.

Sometimes it's all too easy to find fault. Sometimes I forget that abundance is being happy with what you have. Sometimes I forget that others are struggling while I am safe and secure. Sometimes I forget that joy is found in people, not in things or accomplishments.

This weekend, I was reminded just how lucky I am. This weekend, I was reminded just how deeply I love. This weekend, I was reminded that the people that matter most to me are blessings beyond words.

Blessings for a year filled with simple joys and everyday grace.

Teresa

No comments: